Thursday 17 April 2008

I am an idiot



I have to confess my idiocy. There are probably those of you out there who already knew that I was an idiot, but for any of you who were previously on the fence, this story will convince you once and for all that I am an ignoramus. Here's the story:

For several days now, Shane has been telling me that his van was nearly out of gas, but he never had a free minute to go fill up. So on Wednesday evening, while he was at soccer practice with the boys, I decided to do something nice and go fill up his tank with gas so that he wouldn't have to worry about it in the morning. Well, the best laid plans......

To make a long story short, I filled up his DIESEL van with regular unleaded gasoline. And then I drove it. Needless to say, I only made it about a half mile before the van died, right in the middle of traffic. I was able to coast to a parking lot.

In my own defense, let me just say that I have never put gas in his car before, and although in retrospect I acknowledge that I knew it was a diesel, I never really thought about it before. I have never owned a car that takes diesel, I haven't even really known anyone who had a car that took diesel, and in this environmentally conscious age that we live in, I routinely make fun of people who drive diesel burning cars. So it really wasn't in my realm of thought to consider putting diesel in.

I know, I know. I can try to justify it all I want, and in the final analysis I am still an idiot. Shane has been furiously (and I do mean furiously) emailing and calling family and friends trying to best figure out how to remedy this situation. We have heard everything on the spectrum from, "You'll be fine once you drain the tank and replace a few parts," to "Man, you are hosed. Your car is a total loss." I am banking on the the former being true. My happy marriage depends on it.

This reminds me of the time when I was 16 years old, and I got infamously lost trying to drive from Provo to Park City. I finally called my dad from a pay phone at a gas station, told him where I was, and he told me that I was about 30 miles off course. He explained how to get back to Park City, and all was well. You would think that the story has a happy ending, but no. Here we are 18 years later, and I still haven't lived that story down. My dad and my brothers still ask me if I need directions, and do I think I can find Park City on my own? Well, move over Park City story! I have a new legacy, and it isn't pretty. Oh, and by the way, that picture above is an actual photograph of Shane's van. Yes, it's 4WD, and yes, it's jacked-up. What did you expect?!

6 comments:

emily said...

Jas, you make me laugh out loud!! That is so funny. I have to tell you, your Park City story is told almost every time we come home from my mom's in Heber and we pass the Park City sign. Ryan has to say something about you getting lost on the way to Park City. I am not sure the story will ever die. I am sorry to say. I hope the car is not a total loss. Good luck. I am sure that I would have done the same thing. You are most definately not an idiot.

Kristen said...

Your story ranks up there with mine when I shoveled 18 inches of snow off the hood of our brand new Yukon and completely scraped the paint off. I've never lived it down either. Tell Shane you like to keep his life interesting! I was on the fence about you, thinking you were too good to be true and now I know you are not, you're completely normal!!! Love ya!

Heather said...

I don't know much about cars but I do know something similiar happened to Cams dads truck and it was spared. I think draining and minor repairs were involved. By the way tell Shane that his van is cool but not as cool as the Jeep. :)

Joe said...

Don't feel to bad I have seen a few of those come in, but usually it is putting diesel in a gas vehicle! well im glad it all worked out!

Cassie said...

I just think that you are so sweet to try to fill up for your husband. I hope that he sees that side of it. I think you are still amazing! :)

Swasey Times said...

Don't be so hard on yourself. Those stories are what good memories are made of.
Melissa