Friday 11 April 2008

I left my heart in San Antonio






I had the chance a in late March to go to Texas for a week. It was such a fantastic trip! Shane had to go to San Antonio for a conference, so I decided to tag along. It was really hard for me to leave my kids and go more than 6,000 miles away, and I almost backed out at the last minute, but I am so glad I went. I got to spend several days with my amazing friends in San Antonio. We shopped, talked, went out to eat, and did I mention shopping and talking? I was in need of some serious retail therapy after living for almost a year in a country where I don't have access to anything American. I also realized anew that there is no substitute in all the world for old friends. After my trip, I told my San Antonio friends that they are like vitamins for me: I feel stonger and healthier after spending time with them. Thanks, guys. You're wonderful! After my few days in San Antonio, I borrowed my mother-in-law's car (thanks, Merlene!) and drove to Houston to see my brother Kyle and my sister-in-law, Emily. They just had a new baby girl, Reese, and, let me tell you, that was heaven on earth to get to hold her for three days. What an angel. I also loved spending time with my neice, Jaden, and my nephew, Ty the Guy. I don't think Ty's forgiven me for falling asleep during an episode of Power Rangers, but in my defense, it was the second episode, and I was suffering from a powerful case of jet lag! My journey back to Japan was crazy. I missed my flight in Osaka, and I had to spend the night in a chair in the Osaka airport. This was after I had already been traveling for over 24 hours. I finally made it home a day later than planned, and I was so happy to see my kids again. I missed them so much! But what a wonderful trip.

1 comment:

emily said...

I have to tell you I don't know how you do it. I really don't. My friends are my salvation. And living so far away, I think you are one of the strongest people that I know.

I am jealous that you got to go and see Reese and hold her. She is so cute.